Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The days of summer...

Summer's here and I'm actually staying pretty busy. I was thinking about it today and, while I have more time to relax, I'm also volunteering for more Teach For America things. Need a volunteer for Induction? Sure, why not! Oh, I have to attend a training for that? Emailing and calling members?Sure, why not! Register the car, hunny? Sure, why not! On top of that, I'm becoming a regular housewife with making dinner and doing chores. Well, sort of. Maybe. Okay, it's kind of hard to dredge up the motivation to do housework when it's so hot in the house but I'm working on it! We minimize the AC we use during the day-time when electricity costs more. But I'm getting some stuff done (like fried rice tonight with chicken and veggies in it, yummy!). 

In a way though, I'm thankful for the different tasks to do, because I think that after days and days of lounging, I might actually get a little bored. I know, those are crazy thoughts. But really, doing chores each day helps me to continue to value my free time. Plus, the sense of accomplishment is kind of nice when I can cross those tasks off of my google-calendar task list!  It keeps my relaxation time relaxing instead of just another routine. That way, I don't take it for granted. 

Speaking of relaxation, I've been doing a bit of reading these last few days. I started reading some books by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. The belong in my usual fantasy genre, but she writes in a very unique way. She spends a lot of time describing details in an eloquent/verbose manner. It seems natural to her, but to me it almost looks like she kept looking in a thesaurus to replace common words with bigger and better synonyms. At first, I'll admit, I was a little put off by the writing style. But now I'm well into the third book and I think that it's alright. It doesn't make for the easiest reading (I actually have to concentrate a bit when I read!) but I have learned some new vocabulary words! The storyline is pretty decent too. I'll let you know if I decide to recommend it. 

And that's it for tonight. Just some little thoughts before I head off to bed. After all, I have to get up sort of early in order to drop Todd off at work and make it to my training in the morning! 


3 comments:

Tinox said...

Funny. Fried rice with chicken and veggies is exactly what I ate yesterday.

The books look interesting, but I think I'll pass for now. I've been reading too much in English lately.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you're enjoying the summer, though it looks like it'll be rather busy.

Ashlee said...

You should tell me what you're having for lunch today because I'm out of ideas. Haha!

I would try to read books in French so that I could sympathize, but I'm not nearly as adept as you are with knowing other languages.

Tinox said...

Actually, I'm not good at all in other languages. English is just easy to learn.

And we had pizza yesterday. Sorry!