My first week of work was amazing! I feel like I've learned so much in this first week alone. I was the first intern to arrive at the office. The others are not coming until after Memorial Day. I'm living out of town at the house of a Federal Public Defender. He's putting up three interns for free over the summer, which is part of what makes this internship possible for all of us.
So far this week I've written a memorandum for a judge, I'm working on a motion for a new trial that needs to be submitted next week, I've got a longer term project on collateral consequences of criminal convictions to work on, and a legal question concerning the admissibility of some evidence. On top of that, I've sat in on conflict of interest meetings, conferences on the capital cases that the office has, and gone on jail visits. All of my details will be really vague, but at least you get an idea of what I've been up to.
Then some of the attorneys from the office took us out to the lake on Thursday afternoon. The secretaries were there and we played around in the water, on the tube behind the boat, and on jet skis. It was so much fun! Where else would you get an internship where your bosses take you out to the lake? And we're going again later this summer, once all of the interns are here. On Friday we had an office birthday party for all of the May birthdays, complete with cupcakes and icecream. Next Tuesday, once all the interns are here, we'll have a BBQ at one of the attorney's homes. We're also planning on a full moon float down the river, going bowling, and maybe starting up a softball team over the summer. So we'll definitely be busy!
For now, it's nice to be home. I'm recovering from my time at the lake (so sore! But I didn't fly off that tube behind the boat easily!). Todd and I are going out with some friends tonight for dinner and then to the Tempe Improv Comedy Show. So it should be a good time!

No comments:
Post a Comment